Monday, December 11, 2017

The Project--12/11/17

Dealing with the infallible can be an exercise in frustration. I’m sure we’ve all run into this at some point in our lives. The person who refuses to apologize for being insufferably incorrect, refuses to ever take responsibility for problems they single handedly create, and will do or say anything to make their mistakes or shortcomings anyone else’s fault, as long as they don’t have to admit they were wrong.

I don’t understand this mindset or approach to life or business. Everyone makes mistakes or misunderstands a conversation or situation occasionally, and, really, it’s not that big a deal. Ever. But, for some reason, there are individuals who fear being viewed as wrong more than they fear destroying relationships, businesses, or their own reputation. The thing is, eventually everyone sees through people like this, and they are left without meaningful relationships, their businesses will eventually falter, because of their unethical practices, and their personal reputations are left in a shambles, because they haven’t operated from any kind of moral framework whatsoever. But, hey, at least no one knew they weren’t infallible, right?

The book of Proverbs speaks extensively on both the subject of wisdom, and the folly of foolish people who refuse both wisdom and instruction. Fools are even compared to dogs who return to their own vomit, willingly eating the very thing that made them sick in the first place. Now, dogs aren’t that bright, and it shows when they return to their own vomit. According to Proverbs, unwise people seem to be on the same level of operation. People should be able to at least see the error of their ways, see what caused them pain in the past, and adjust accordingly to avoid the same pain in the future. Instead, they just return to their vomit. That doesn’t exactly paint the prettiest picture, does it? And it’s hard and frustrating to watch in real life, as well. Especially since people can’t actually be forced to see anything they adamantly refuse to see. Many times, it’s because they have to be right at any cost. Because they actually believe their authority derives from their self perceived infallibility.

It will never cease to amaze me what people will lie about. Usually, it’s about things that are completely inconsequential, or things that were truly accidental. Years ago, I worked at a glass distribution warehouse, and a few of the other employees were fairly impressed that I had gone so long without breaking any merchandise as I moved it around the warehouse or loaded and unloaded it from trucks for deliveries or returns from the various glass shops with whom we did business. One day, probably about a year after I started working there, I pretty much ran over a windshield with one of the forklifts. I had simply misjudged how far the windshield was protruding from its storage rack and tagged it with the front of the forklift I was driving. I mean, I completely crushed the corner of the thing. At the time, I was the only person who was even in the warehouse area. I went straight into the office and told my boss what I had done. He asked me for the part number of the piece of glass I’d broken, and when he looked it up, it just happened to be the most expensive single piece of glass we carried. I had already known that when I saw which windshield I had broken, but I didn’t realize at that time how much it actually cost. He was actually surprised I had come in to tell him what I had done. That, right there, is a sad commentary on how most people operate in their day to day lives. Many people would have simply gone on about their business, and when that broken windshield was discovered, they would have acted surprised about it, along with everyone who truly did not know what had happened. Could I have gotten in trouble for damaging product? Yes, and I truly thought I would. That didn’t stop me from doing what I saw as the right thing to do, though. And in my way of thinking, why would it? The right thing to do is still the right thing to do, even if it comes with less than stellar consequences. I had been fired from good jobs before this incident because I answered questions that my supervisor asked me completely honestly. Yet, into the office I went to willingly admit my mistake. Why? Because it was the right thing to do. You know what happened as a result of my honesty? My supervisor thanked me, and said there really wasn’t anything he could be upset about, because I had been there so long without breaking anything before. One of my other coworkers even joked about it, laughing as he said, “I guess you made up for all that time with this one windshield, though, didn’t you?” And then it was over. And I didn’t have to worry about someone finding out what had actually happened.

That’s why I don’t understand people who lie all the time. Lies are pretty much impossible to keep straight, because different versions have been told to different people. How in the world is the liar going to keep them all straight? Truth is, they don’t. And then they have the gall to get upset when they get called out, but they just keep right on lying about it. Talk about foolish behavior! At all costs, though, they’ll defend what they see as their infallible record of perfection, even when everyone around can clearly see that their version of things is completely indefensible. So, how are we supposed to deal with such people? That, my friends, is where things get difficult. We have to call truth truth. There’s just no other way to call it. This also means we have to call lies lies.

As hard as it may be, I think it’s far better to do the right thing, and view things in the right mindset, than to fear what consequences may come as a result. I’d much rather please the one who created me and gave me breath than to make the wrong decision because I fear what man can do to me. When you stop and think about it, even the worst that men can do to us is temporary and, ultimately, unimportant. Refusing to do the right thing out of fear can rob us of something with far greater implications. It robs us of being who we were originally created to be, and could keep us from fulfilling the purpose and destiny for which we were intended since before time began. Kinda seems like a no brainer if you can see it from that perspective. In the moment, it can be more difficult, though. Stupid, hard to navigate, fallen creation that we currently live in! Just remember, you were created for more than what you see. I’ll keep reminding myself of that, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment